This sloppy joe isn’t your standard. In addition to lean ground turkey it punches up the nutrition by adding pureed veggies into the sauce–so you don’t miss the sweetness of a traditional sloppy joe sauce that is full of added sugars (a really good thing since experts recommend everyone watch their intake of added sugars, not just those with diabetes or prediabetes). Except for the simmering time, it’s actually quite easy since you throw most of the ingredients in a Cuisinart. And it freezes well to boot!
Most potential clients don’t know I also coach for stress management and work life balance. Contact Truce today to see how we can get all kinds of health-gratifying, time-saving hacks such as this working for you!
Sloppy Joe Ingredients
1 lb organic lean ground turkey
1/4 tsp salt
1 (8 oz) can no-salt added tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 Tbsp low-sugar ketchup
1/2 whole sweet onion, cut into large chunks
1/2 whole red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
1 medium carrot, cut into large chunks
2-3 garlic cloves
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup light shredded cheddar cheese
Whole wheat hamburger buns or low-carb bread slices
Sloppy Joe Directions
- Heat a very small amount of olive oil in a very large skillet on medium-high. Saute the ground turkey until no longer pink and cooked through. Season with salt and drain any excess liquid.
- In the meantime place the tomato sauce, water, ketchup, onion, bell pepper, carrot, garlic, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce in a blender or Cuisinart. Blend until smooth.
- Pour over the browned meat, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the liquid has mostly evaporated and the sauce has thickened, about 25-30 minutes.
- remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Pile a serving of meat between two bun halves or bread slices.