This roasted veggie low-carb mac and cheese is loaded with oven-roasted veggies and swaps out traditional macaroni for a low-carb version, which makes it a great choice for those wanting to limit starches for weight loss or diabetes. The combination of full-fat and lighter cheeses makes it creamy without too much saturated fat. I bet you’ll love this hearty replacement to your favorite mac and cheese! Update: For a spring season option: Omit the butternut squash when roasting and instead separately steam 1 package cut asparagus and 1 bag fresh organic spinach to add along with the cauliflower and Brussels sprouts at the end.
For help navigating your own prediabetes or diabetes diagnosis or choosing a best-fit weight loss program / weight loss service to call a truce and lose weight for good, I’m here. Contact Truce today and champion yourself to a radiant new level of well-being with the help of Truce weight loss coaching!
Low-Carb Mac and Cheese Ingredients
1 medium to large head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 package (20 oz) pre-cut and peeled butternut squash cubes, cut into smaller chunks
1 package (16 oz) fresh Brussels sprouts, cut in halves or thirds
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt to taste
3 servings dry low-carb pasta (such as black bean spaghetti or mung bean pasta)
1 Tbsp butter
1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 Tbsp stone-ground whole wheat flour
2 cups low-sugar milk (such as Fairlife)
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups shredded low-fat extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup freshly grated Havarti cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Low-Carb Mac and Cheese Directions
- Roast the cauliflower, butternut squash, and Brussels sprouts ahead of time: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and lightly grease a large roasting dish. In 2-3 bouts place the cut-up veggies in a sealable plastic bag with a tsp or less of oil each time and a sprinkling of sea salt. Seal the bag, massage the oil and salt into the veggies, then place them in the roasting dish. Roast for 30 mins, stir, and roast 15-30 min more, until all veggies are softened and slightly browned.
- In the meantime, cook the low-carb pasta according to package instructions, and drain.
- Melt the butter in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the flour and cook another minute or two, stirring well.
- Add the milk and broth and whisk nearly constantly once the mixture has come to a simmer for 5-10 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove pan from heat, add all the cheeses, and mix until melted. Fold in the roasted veggies and cooked pasta and stir to combine well.