This almond butter mixed nut low-carb trail mix is similar to my Peanutty Low-Carb Granola except with entirely different flavors. Unlike commercial trail mixes it doesn’t have any added sugars–either in the form of honey or even dried fruit. And yet it still has sweetness from the nuts themselves, along with raw coconut and cacao nibs. The combination of healthy fat, especially from the omega fatty acids in the walnuts and hemp seeds, and protein will keep your hunger at bay and your energy high.
It’s amazing in yogurt, sprinkled on oatmeal, or for your own version of gorp for an active day outside or just as a hearty snack. For an Autumn/ Winter version I sometimes add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spices. Feel free to vary the mixed nuts to suit your own low-starch trail mix cravings!
Of course, for help developing your own customized healthy eating plan–one that will support your nutrition, resilience, and life balance needs, please don’t hesitate to schedule a completely complimentary consultation/ sample coaching today!
Makes approximately 25 servings (2 Tbsp each)
Low-Carb Trail Mix Ingredients
3/4 to 1 cup raw walnuts pieces
1 cup hazelnuts, halved or roughly chopped
1 cup raw (unsweetened) coconut flakes or strips
Pinch sea salt
2 Tbsp natural almond butter
1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
Low-Carb Trail Mix Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the walnuts, hazelnuts, coconut flakes, and salt right in a 9×9″ glass baking dish.
- Add the almond butter to the hazelnut mixture, and combine well.
- Bake until golden brown around the edges, approximately 22-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix in the cocoa nibs and hemp seeds until well combined. Store in an airtight container.