This low-starch/ low-carb vodka pasta calls for neither vodka nor traditional pasta, and it also skips the heavy cream. But it has all the other ingredients I think of when I remember vodka pasta that my best friend used to make when we were roommates after college–broccoli, sausage (chicken sausage in this case), as well as a pink sauce that is incredibly tasty yet makes for a super healthy recipe. (BTW you can get away with using less tomato sauce or tomatoes if you find you need a lower carb count.) It’s reasonably quick on time and only uses one big pot, so it’s perfect for weekday evenings. Or, if you want to make it go even faster then use frozen broccoli you steam ahead. Really, you get just about two full servings of broccoli right in the dish so you’re well on your way to getting your optimum. And please check out how I may serve as your weight loss coach or transformational life coach, which is what these good-tasting healthy recipes support!
Low-Carb Vodka Pasta Ingredients
4 servings dry low-carb pasta (such as black bean spaghetti or mung bean fettucine)
4 medium heads of fresh broccoli, separated into flowerets (or 2 bags frozen broccoli flowerets)
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
5-8 medium cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 1/2 links sweet Italian chicken sausage, sliced
1 can (15 oz) low- or no-salt added petite diced tomatoes
1 small can (8 oz) low- or no-salt added tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp dried basil
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
1/3 to 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
3 oz light or regular stick cream cheese
Low-Carb Vodka Pasta Directions
- Cook the low-carb pasta according to package instructions, drain, and place aside.
- Place the broccoli in a microwaveable glass dish with a little bit of water and microwave until al dente. (Or steam on the stovetop in a saucepan.) Drain and add to the pasta bowl.
- In a dutch oven or extra large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic and sliced sausage (unless the sausage is already pre-cooked, in which case just add it to the pasta and broccoli.)
- To the garlic and sausage add the pasta, broccoli, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, and oregano.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until all ingredients are heated through.
- Add Parmesan and cream cheeses, and stir to combine well. Heat through until cheeses have melted, approximately 3 more minutes. Serve with additional Parmesan.