This low-carb chicken tetrazzini uses lighter cream ingredients and way less starch, especially since I use low-carb pasta in place of the traditional spaghetti noodles. I’ve also found that with most recipes that call for flour or cornstarch for a thickener you can get away with about one-quarter of the amount (or replace with a low-carb thickener such as xanthan gum, as I do here) and the dish will still come together reasonably well. So add this low-carb “pasta” dish to your favorite low-starch recipes.
Whether you’re needing to moderate carbs for prediabetes or diabetes, or to help with weight loss, this recipe is sure to be a winner. After all, nobody should have to endure tasteless recipes when eating for health. Let me guide you in being the star cook in your house; contact Truce wellness coaching today.
1.25 to 1.5 lb organic chicken breast tenders
3 servings dry low-carb pasta (such as black bean spaghetti or mung bean fettucine)
1 small sweet onion, chopped
1 package cremini mushrooms, sliced and slightly chopped
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup organic (optional reduced sodium) chicken broth
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
3 oz light cream cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Optional: Chopped, fresh parsley
- Bake the chicken ahead of time (approximately 30-40 min in preheated 350 degree F oven.) Cool and shred.
- Also cook the low-carb pasta according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- Grease the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish. Bump the oven temperature up to 400 deg F.
- Heat a very small amount of olive oil in a skillet on medium-high. Saute the onion and mushrooms until soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- Using the now-empty skillet melt the butter on medium heat. Gradually add the chicken broth and xanthan gum, cooking and stirring frequently until thickened or reduced by half, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of Parmesan, cream cheese, salt and pepper until smooth and mixed thoroughly.
- Add in the cooked chicken, onion, mushrooms, and low-carb pasta, and stir to combine well.
- Pour into the greased casserole dish, and sprinkle with the last 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if using.