This lasagna stuffed mushrooms recipe is a new creation. It tastes just like beef lasagna with all the yummy cheeses and pasta sauce, but without the noodles that aren’t a happy addition for someone following a low-carb diet or someone seeking low-starch diabetic recipes for a loved one. The stuffing part is actually borrowed from my previous spinach stuffed portobello mushrooms recipe but swaps out ground beef for the spinach. Now that I think about it, it likely would be good with both! It would also make a really great appetizer at your next party–provided you downsize the mushrooms to small single cremini caps. Let me know what you think if you try it that way.
Live your best life: Find out how with the help of a trained transformational life coach!
Stuffed Mushrooms Ingredients
6 large portobello mushroom caps
1 lb ground organic beef
1/2 whole sweet onion, chopped
2 large eggs, beaten
2-4 medium cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup shredded organic or light mozzarella cheese, divided into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup
15-ounce container fat-free Ricotta cheese
1 cup prepared low-sugar pasta sauce, divided into 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup
Stuffed Mushrooms Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a large glass baking dish.
- Remove the stems of the portobello mushroom caps, and arrange both the caps and the stems in the glass baking dish, gill sides up. Bake in the preheated oven until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain any juice.
- In the meantime, brown the ground beef along with the onion in a skillet over medium heat, until the meat is cooked through. Drain excess grease.
- In a large mixing bowl combine together the eggs, fresh garlic, garlic powder, oregano, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, and Ricotta cheese.
- Add the ground beef, onion, and half the pasta sauce and stir to mix well.
- Divide the stuffing mixture evenly between all 6 mushroom caps.
- Bake in the 400 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese filling is set. Remove dish from the oven, spread the rest of the pasta sauce as well as the last 1/4 cup mozzarella evenly over the mushrooms.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and golden brown, about 5 minutes more.