This BLT bean bowl is a delightful and filling twist on the classic BLT sandwich–except using nutritious beans and healthier turkey bacon. I use mung beans, but you could also use another small bean, such as a lentil. I’ve found that the mung bean is one of the few starches that is likely to keep your blood sugar on an even keel post-meal since it has such hunger satisfying protein and fiber–perfect for those following a diabetes diet. This BLT bowl is also the first recipe I created on my own rather than adapted from someone else’s recipe first. For help tailoring your own healthy eating prediabetes, diabetes, or weight loss plan, I’d be happy to hear from you. Please contact me today for a complimentary consultation.
BLT Bean Bowl Ingredients
8 slices turkey bacon
1 cup dried mung beans
1 bag (5 oz) fresh organic spinach
1 bag (5 oz) fresh organic arugula
3-5 cloves fresh garlic
1 large container grape tomatoes, halved
1.5 – 2 oz grated fresh Parmesan cheese for topping
BLT Bean Bowl Directions
- Cook (or Foreman grill) the turkey bacon ahead of time, cool, and break up into small pieces.
- Bring the mung beans and 2 cups of water to boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- Steam both the fresh spinach and fresh arugula together in a separate large pot.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high. Saute the garlic for a few minutes until soft. Add the grape tomatoes, steamed greens, turkey bacon, and mung beans and mix to heat up slightly and combine well. Take care not to overcook as the bacon and tomatoes will lose their crispness.
- Serve with the Parmesan cheese for topping.