This beef and broccoli skillet stir-fry has a few steps to it in order to mix all the flavors, but it’s worth it. I bet you’ll note that lean beef helps hold your hunger better than other proteins, which makes it a satisfying meal for weight maintenance (as seems to be the case for me) or weight loss. Don’t skip on the toasted sesame seeds and cashews to top, as they make the dish (in my humble opinion.) As usual, I’ve upped the amount of broccoli for an extra hefty dose of veggies. Serve with brown rice or cauliflower rice.
Contact Truce today for help with next steps in creating a supremely satisfying healthy lifestyle for yourself long-term!
Beef and Broccoli Ingredients
1 package cremini mushrooms, loosely chopped into large chunks
1 x-large bunch (1 to 1 1/2 lb) of broccoli flowerets, separated
1 lb boneless lean flank or round beef steak (ideally organic)
2 tsp cornstarch, divided
2 Tbsp liquid aminos or reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
3-5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground red (cayenne) pepper
1/2 to 1 Tbsp olive or sesame oil, divided
1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
1/3 cup salted cashews, chopped, for garnish
1 Tbsp or more sesame seeds, toasted, for garnish
Beef and Broccoli Directions
- Microwave the mushrooms in a bowl for several minutes until soft, drain, and set aside.
- Blanch the broccoli flowerets either in a little bit of water in a bowl in the microwave, or in a steam basket and pan with lid on the stovetop.
- Cut the beef into thin slices. Combine 1 tsp of cornstarch and 1 Tbsp soy sauce with the garlic in a medium bowl. Stir in the beef, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup water, remaining 1 Tbsp soy sauce, ginger, remaining 1 tsp cornstarch, and red pepper in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Heat a small amount of olive or sesame oil in a very large skillet on medium-high. Saute the beef until desired level of doneness, and remove.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan. Add the broccoli and onion and stir-fry a few minutes. Sprinkle the water mixture over the vegetables, cover, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed.
- Add the beef and stir until sauce thickens.
- Serve with the cashews and sesame seeds for topping.