This baked chicken Parmesan is low-starch and low-carb because it uses just a sprinkling of croutons for crunch and requires no breading of the chicken cutlets–so it’s perfect for those following a diabetic lifestyle. Don’t skip the fresh basil and fresh garlic, as they take the flavor up a notch. And consider doubling it so you can freeze the extra servings for lunch! Contact Truce today for weight loss coaching and navigating your particular health conditions.
Chicken Parmesan Ingredients
1 lb organic chicken breast
Lots of fresh garlic (~ 6-10 medium cloves), minced
1/2 to 2/3 jar (24 oz) low-sugar marinara or spaghetti sauce
1/2 bunch (~ 1 large fistful) fresh basil leaves, cut into strips
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (organic or light), divided in half
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided into half
1/3 package (5 oz) garlic croutons, crushed
Optional: additional freshly grated Parmesan or a Parmesan mix
Chicken Parmesan Directions
- Bake the chicken ahead of time (approximately 30-40 min in preheated 350 degree F oven.) Cool and shred.
- Grease the bottom of a 9×9 glass baking dish (or 9×13 if doubling the recipe). Also bump the oven temperature up to 375 deg F.
- Heat a very small amount of olive oil in a skillet on medium-high. Saute the garlic a few minutes until soft.
- Arrange the chicken in the bottom of the glass baking dish, and pour the marinara sauce over the chicken.
- Top with the sauteed garlic, fresh basil, half the mozzarella cheese, and half the Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle on the croutons and top with the second half of the mozzarella along with the final amount of Parmesan and an additional sprinkling of fresh Parmesan, if using.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.