This slaw is another great healthy side salad that can be served summer or winter. As with most recipes that include herbs, the key to such amazing flavor is the fresh cilantro and freshly grated ginger. My original recipe also calls for a couple tablespoons of sesame oil, but I forgot to mix it into the dressing last time I made it and the slaw was just as good. For convenience, you can use the equivalent of already bagged and shredded cabbage–although the fresh stuff seems to better allow the dressing to take hold.
Serves 8 as a side dish
1 medium head of green cabbage
6-8 scallions, sliced
1/2 bunch (1-2 fistfuls) fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
2 Tbsp white miso
3-4 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated or minced
Optional topping: toasted sesame seeds
- In batches, shred the cabbage in a food processor.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded cabbage with the scallions and cilantro.
- Whisk the vinegar, miso, and ginger in a small bowl.
- Add the dressing to the slaw and stir to mix well.
- Allow to marinate 30 minutes, or serve immediately with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.